Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fall Magnetic Memo Board with The Robin's Nest

Hello again, and welcome back to my blog.

I have a special Fall project I made, and I am very excited to show it to you.  I am always trying to remember things I need to do, especially during the holiday season.  I make lists only to lose or misplace them.  So, what better way to keep track of my "to do's" than to have a pretty memo board hanging where I can readily see it.   All of my notes are in one place and easily removed and replaced with a new note.  You could also use it to hang a few of your favorite holiday photos, too.  So, without further adieu, here is my Fall magnetic memo board using some of the Black Forest collection papers and embellishments.  They are so pretty and speak Fall to me with the dusty greens and the glittery copper accents.  I am afraid pictures simply do not show their true beauty.


Supply list:
Getaway Dew Drops
Fall Foliage Dew Drops
Large Clear Dew Drops
Victorian Clippies
Butterfly Clippies
metal sign or metal flashing
chain for hanging
glimmer glaze paint
3D crystal lacquer
Helmar 450 glue
Sheet magnet (TIP:  I used a magnetic business card I received in the mail)

I started with a metal sign board I got from my local craft store for 80% off.  You can usually find these with seasonal prints already painted on them.  It does not matter, though, because you are going to cover it with some beautiful Robin's Nest papers.

After removing the hanging chain, I covered the sign with the Family-Glitter Getaway Double-Sided Cardstock using my Helmar 450 glue.  I trimmed the excess paper, then sanded and inked the edges with a rust color ink.  Adding some copper glitter to the edges enhanced the tiny glitter elements in this gorgeous paper.  

I covered one of the oval Chipboard Shapes with Getaway Glitter Stripe paper, edged with rust ink and copper glitter, then adhered to the base with pop dots.  Black glitter alphabet stickers to spell "Memo" were centered on the oval shape, and Fall Foliage Dew Drops were placed decoratively along two sides.



I fussy cut the leaves from the Family-Glitter Getaway Double-Sided Cardstock, edged with gold pen, and painted with a glimmer glaze paint.  Because Robin's Nest papers are so sturdy and keep their shape, even after being painted, I was able to shape and manipulate the leaves to look more three-dimensional and adhere them beneath the "Memo" oval piece.  I love the way these leaves turned out.  They almost look like metal.

I also cut the border strips from the Family-Glitter Getaway Double-Sided Cardstock , edged with gold pen and painted with a glimmer glaze paint.  I glued the strips down on the ends only, leaving the center free.  Then I removed the prongs and added decorative brads to each end of the strips with Helmar 450 glue.  I clipped the Regency RN Paper Clips to the strip so that more notes could be added at any time.  One of the fleur de lis was red, so I covered it with more of that copper glitter I had on hand.  I think it turned out pretty nicely.  I also made two additional magnets by simply gluing a strip of magnet to a Victorian Clippies, and another one to a Butterfly Clippies.


I had so much fun making these magnets to use on the board.  I am partial to rosettes, so I used the Glitter Coffee Creme Swirl Paper to make my rosette, and matched colors by spraying a caramel colored mist over the paper.  I was so pleased with the way it matched the prints in this beautiful paper. Then I added those beautiful dew drops to enhance the center.  Doesn't it look wonderful?  In the picture below, I used a sticker from the Travel Sticker sheet , adhered it to a piece of magnet, and glued a clear, slightly iridescent, flat marble from the craft store on top.


Below is an image I punched from the  German Edlewiess Paper, adhered to the center of a bottle cap, and attached a piece of magnet to the bottom.  I used 3D Crystal Lacquer to the surface.  I used a second circular sticker from the Travel Sticker sheet to make the next magnet shown, glued it to a magnet, and adhered clear teardrop dew drops around a Large Clear Dew Drops.


Here is another close-up of those magnets, and one more I made by punching an oval shape from a scrap of Family-Glitter Getaway Double-Sided Cardstock, adhered the fleur de lis rub-on image from the Family Rub-On sheet, and adhered it to another piece of magnet.  I also coated this piece with a thick layer of 3D Crystal Lacquer.


Oh my goodness, I had so much fun making this project.  The magnet pieces are so addictive, and I just love this paper collection.  And here is a little tip from me:  Each one of these magnets can also be used as embellishments for any of your other projects, i.e., cards, mini albums, page layouts, altered books, etc.  Just glue them to a piece of chipboard for stability and dimension, and you have tons of beautiful little bits of art to add to your projects.

I hope you will stop by The Robin's Nest and check out their collections, and see what is new in the shop.  And beginning today through November 26, you can get 25% off of your purchases during their Black Friday Special this week.  I also hope you have been inspired to make your own memo board with lots of magnets and/or embellishments for other projects.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbara 

No comments:

Post a Comment