Sunday, December 2, 2012

Altered Christmas Gift Card Tin

Hello everyone.  Welcome back to my blog, and my new design team project for The Robin's Nest.  Today, I have a fairly easy project for you, in light of the busy holiday season and the "need for speed".     We all know someone whom we just do not have the slightest idea what to give them, so what better way to present a gift card than to give them a beautifully hand-decorated tin made by you, especially for them.

Supplies used:

Family-Glitter Getaway cardstock double sided
Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock
Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock
Brown Glitter Cardstock
Red Glitter on Red Cardstock
Cherry Chocolate Dew Drops
Fall Ribbon




ON THE COVER:

I first removed the lid from the bottom, then cut pieces of Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock to size (2-1/4" x 3-3/8") to cover the top and bottom of the tin,  rounded the corners, and colored with red and brown distress inks.  I cut a 1/2" wide long strip of  Coffee Glitter Swirl on Creme cardstock, colored with brown distress ink, and adhered around the bottom of the tin.



I punched small trees from scraps of Family-Glitter Getaway cardstock double sided and painted with a gold glimmer glaze.  I punched the holly leaves from scraps of green card stock and also painted with a gold glimmer glaze, then dry embossed veins into the leaves to help sculpt them.  The tiny reindeer was punched with Brown Glitter Cardstock.  I used Cherry Chocolate Dew Drops for the holly berries.



INSIDE THE TIN:

I covered the inside using the Red Glitter on Red Cardstock.  NOTE:  You can spread a thin line of matching color acrylic paint around the circumference of the tin top and bottom before adhering your cardstock.  This will disguise any paper layer not cut to exact measurements.  See photo below.

Thin line of red acrylic paint around inside edge
To make the stand-up for the gift card, simply cut a piece of Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock to 3-3/8" x 5-1/2", then score at 5/8", 2-3/8", and 5".  You may need to round the corners to allow it to fit properly inside the tin.  See photo below.

Gift card insert
Place a piece of double sided adhesive at the 5" score line area and attach.  You will have an angled piece to showcase your gift card.  See photo below.

Reverse side of gift card insert showing where to place adhesive
Finished gift card insert
I punched small branches from Brown Glitter Cardstock and mini ornaments from Getaway Glitter Leaves on linen cardstock, added some red distress ink and glimmer glaze to each, and used the bottom of my foam brush to sculpt them.  See photo below.



I glued the branches to the inside of the lid, then attached the ornaments with foam dots for dimension, draping the Fall Ribbon through the ornaments.  I also used a gold pen to color the topper on each ornament.

Inside tin with gift card insert

Inside tin with gift card presentation
I hope you like my project for a pretty way to present your gift cards this Christmas, or change up the papers and embellishments to use for any time of year.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and please be sure to visit The Robin's Nest online store to see all of their new and wonderful products.  I would also encourage you to stop by the Chattering Robins blog  for more creative inspiration from the rest of the design team.  They always have something wonderful to share.

Happy holly days!

Barbara

6 comments:

  1. I like your way of presenting, this kind of gifts are very precious and valuable, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this tin! Those little ornament embellishments on the inside are such a great touch!! Did you use acrylic paint around the outside edge on the tin lid as well as on the inside? I had problems when I adhered cardstock on the top lid and folded and glued it to the inside of the lid. The tin wouldn't close all the way! So painting around the edges would probably prevent that from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. You're right, Karen. These tins are very tight and nothing can really be added where the lid and bottom meet. So, I did not paint or add paper to those areas. The tin was already a gold tone, so I left it and used it to my advantage. The top sides of the lid were already red, and all I did was add some glaze to glitz it up a bit. But that was not going to interfere with the closing. If possible, let the color of the tin work with your paper choices so you do not have to paint it. I hope I answered your question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was referred by Crafty Link - How beautiful! Great work. Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. These christmas gift card holder is easy to make. i think one of the most important you need to keep in mind is design for your gift card.
    i like designs you shared here. looking beautiful.
    thanks for sharing.
    pricing guns

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable gift idea. Love the way you present.

    ReplyDelete