Monday, August 19, 2013

Tunnel Card with Classic Glitter Swirls

Hello again, Robin's Nest fans, and welcome back.  I am so glad you stopped by today because the Robin's Nest Design Team continues to showcase the beautiful Classic Glitter Swirl papers this month.  I have been making cards for almost two decades now, so I have a plethora of card ideas stored away in the recesses of my mind.  I have always been extra fond of interactive cards, cards with different types of folds, dimensional cards, moving cards, etc.  So, I want to share with you a fun card that really is easy to make, but looks like you spent days working on it.   It is often referred to as a tunnel card, and here is my finished piece, inside and out.


Supplies Used:

The Robin's Nest:  Black Glitter Swirl on White CSSilver Glitter Swirl on Black CSPink Glitter Swirl on Pink CSSummer Pink Classic Glitter CSBlack Classic Glitter CS
Classified Mini Dew Drops
Spellbinders die (S5-041-Floral Doily Motifs)(Classic Circles)
1-3/4" circle punch
Black India Ink (Stewart Superior)
Flower Stamp and die (My Favorite Things)
Decorative edge punch (Martha Stewart)

Directions:

Cut Black Classic Glitter CS and Black Glitter Swirl on White CS to 5-1/2" x 8-1/2".
Fold Black Classic Glitter CS in half to form card front that measures 5-1/2" x 4-1/4".  Make score lines on the Black Glitter Swirl on White CS  at , 2-1/8", 4-1/4", and 6-3/8".  Set card front aside.
 Reverse side of Black Glitter Swirl on White CS
Center circle die over the center (4-1/4") score line and cut out an opening.

Reverse side of Black Glitter Swirl on White CS

Fold along score lines as follows:  valley folds on both outer scores, mountain fold on center score.
It should look like a "W" when folded properly.
Cut a circle frame in Pink Glitter Swirl on Pink CS with the floral motif doily, then center the same size circle die used before and center it over the doily to make a frame.  Set the circle aside.  We will use it later.
Glue the pink frame to the card inside, as shown.
Open card front and lay flat, open this inisde card front a lay flat.  Adhere both pieces, wrong sides together, only along the outer edges and up to the first fold on each side.
When you close the card, the center will pop up, like this.
Adhere circle die cut through frame opening, as shown.
When you open the card, you can still see the circle piece through the frame, just like you are looking through a tunnel.

A view from above
Next, I cut 2" x 5-1/2" strips of Pink Glitter Swirl on Pink CS and used the decorative edge punch along each edge.  Adhere strips to each side, as shown.  
Figure 1
I thought the design got lost a bit, so I took a strip of the Summer Pink Classic Glitter CS and place beneath the strip as far as it will go.
Mark through one of the design's openings that is furthest out but will still allow you to cut a straight line.  In this case, you will not be able to include the scallops unless you fussy cut a scallop shape.  This really is not necessary.  Let's keep it simple.
My strips measure 3/4" wide to accomplish this.  I placed a strip beneath the decorative border and glued it in place.  Then I cut off the excess on either end.
This allows your eye to see the design a little bit better.  You can compare this photo to Figure 1 above.  I also added 1/4" strips of Black Classic Glitter CS to the outer edge on both sides.  She finished photo above.
Stamp sentiment onto scrap of Summer Pink Classic Glitter CS.  Punch out with 1-3/4" circle punch.  
Open card and adhere die cut piece through opening.
Cut Silver Glitter Swirl on Black CS to 4" x 5-1/4" and layer onto card front.  Punch another strip of the Summer Pink Classic Glitter CS with the decorative edge punch and layer across the top of the card.  This time, I added a 3/4" strip of the Black Classic Glitter CS and adhered it beneath the pink strip.  Now this color really stands out.  I wanted to show you the difference you can achieve by using darker, lighter, or similar colors of card stock strips.
I had a tiny strip of the Black Classic Glitter CS left, so I punched it once again.  The strip was thinner and did not give me the whole design, but I like it.  It is going to be perfect for my next step.
Dew Drops, of course.  I added silver metallic mini dew drops from the Classified Mini Dew Drops collection along the black decorative strip.  It really pulls out the beautiful silver flourishes in the paper.
To finish off the front, I still need a focal point.  I stamped the daisy flower twice on Summer Pink Classic Glitter CS with black ink.
A little trick I learned along the way.  Not sure who to give credit to, but an easy way to align your die to cut out a stamped image is to first tape the die to a scrap of paper, forming a "hinge", and die cut the scrap.  You can then swing the die up without removing it and align the opening in the scrap over the stamped image.

 You can then tape the scrap down, and swing the die back down over the opening and stamped image, and proceed to die cut as usual.  This gives you a nice, close cut to your stamping.

I glued a second die cut frame to the front, inserting the stems of the two flowers beneath the frame.
To keep it dimensional, I added a few foam dots to the back of each flower head.  The picture below is from the side to show you some of the dimension.  
So,  I hope you enjoyed my tunnel card today and will give this gloriously scrumptious glitter swirl paper a try.  It is on sale for 20% off through the end of August.  Needless to say, these papers are so beautiful and elegant, and they work so well together.  I have really enjoyed working with them.  So go ahead, check out the Robin's Nest online store, and be sure to come back to the Chattering Robin's blog for more inspiration from the Design Team using these fabulous papers!    

As always, thanks tons for stopping by, and have a wonderfully creative week!

Barbara 

No comments:

Post a Comment