Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Candle Ring

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the blog.  I am so glad you stopped by today.  I think Fall is finally in the air, and today, I wanted to share something with you that was quite easy to make and would make wonderful gifts for the upcoming holidays.

I knew I wanted to make a "wreath" like piece, but not so big as a wreath.  So then I got the idea for a candle ring.  Yes, that is perfect, not too big, not to little, and would be so pretty to display for this time of the year.  I even found a pillar candle in my stash and decided to decorate that to match.


Supplies Used:

Creative Paperclay® modeling material
Corrugated cardboard
Circle cutter
Leaf Molds (Makin Clay)
Leaf Cutters, Sunflower Cutters (Lisa Pavelka)
Acrylic Paint:  Burnt Umber, Sunflower, Light Avocado, Tomato Red, Yellow Ochre
Helmar 450 glue
Burgundy 3" fluted pillar candle

Directions:

Cut a 4" circle from corrugated cardboard.  Cut the center out, leaving about 1/2" along the perimeter.
Paint the chipboard with Burnt Umber.
Mold several leaves and sunflowers and allow to dry partially.
You can also speed up the drying time by hitting the clay gently with your heat gun.  At this point, I did not want it completely dry because I still need to be able to manipulate the flowers, and particularly the leaves.
Make seed pod indentations in flower center with rubber tip tool
Adhere the sunflowers and some leaves to the candle using Helmar 450 glue.  Normally I paint my pieces before putting them together, but I was afraid to paint them while my clay was  still damp.  So I painted them after application.
I painted the sunflowers after applying them to the candle.
I placed the chipboard ring around the candle so I could better see how I wanted to place my leaves around it.  I painted the leaves, front and back, before adhering to the candle ring.  I began by gluing and bending the leaves in a pleasing manner to the chipboard.
side view
side view
I hope you enjoyed my project today.  Wouldn't these make great gifts for your friends and family?  Or make one for yourself for a festive holiday table setting.  So visit the Creative Paperclay® blog and online store for more fun seasonal and inspirational projects from the rest of the team this month.  

Happy Fall to one and all!

Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous Barbara, you are just so clever with that clay!! Hope you make it to their team again!!

    ReplyDelete