Saturday, January 11, 2014

Altered Pages Monthly Challenge


Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!  And speaking of the new year, our theme for this month's challenge is Chinese New Year.  2014 is the Year of the Horse, and this year, Chinese New Year's Day will actually arrive on January 31st.  So, to celebrate this day, I decided to make a Chinese Lantern, but instead of using a candle, I prefer to use the battery-operated tea lights.

Side 1
Side 2
Side 1-Night View

Side 2 - Night View
Close-up - Night View
I used two pieces of 6" x 12" black card stock that I scored vertically along the long edge  at 3", 6", and 9".  This gave me four panels to work with.

Next, I resized my four central images from AP 2251 Year of the Horse collage sheet and printed them onto vellum.   After cutting four lattice frames in the center of each of the two center panels using my Silhouette die cut machine, I placed strips of Scor-tape along the lattice edges, applying gold leafing through the openings.  When I removed the release paper on the opposite side of the Scor-tape  I centered the frames over my vellum images.

Graphic 45's Birdsong paper lent itself beautifully to decorating my lantern, using a decorative corner punch on each corner before adhering to each outer panel.  On two outer panels, I die cut two horses using my Silhouette machine, and two more horse images from the AP 2251 Year of the Horse collage sheet.  I used images from AP 1842 Chinese Health Posters to place behind each horse image, and a few calligraphy symbols for the center panels.

Supplies used:

Altered Pages Collage Sheets:  AP 2251 Year of the Horse
Black card stock
decorative corner punch
Chinese embellishments
Mini tassels (4) 
Maple leaf brads

Below are some close-ups of each panel.  
           Side 1 - Panel 1
Side 1 - Panel 2

           Side 1 - Panel 3
Side 1 - Panel 4
Side 2 - Panel 1
Side 2 - Panel 2

Side 2 - Panel 3
Side 2 - Panel 4
Now that you have a bit of inspiration from the design team for this month's challenge, I hope you will join us for this fun, festive holiday by making your very own Chinese New Year project, posting it to your own blog and linking it up to the Altered Pages Challenge page.  There is always a wonderful prize to be won, and we love to see your work!

Thanks for stopping by, and hope to see your creation this month.  

Hugs,
Barbara

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous creativity on this, there is so much Beautiful detailing it is Inspirational x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project. Voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent as always Barbara! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This STILL blows me away! Every time I visit my Google profile I have to look at it and enjoy it! I like it so much! You are so talented and I always enjoy your shares! Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete