Friday, April 18, 2014

Leslie Rahye's Hippity Hoppity Steampunk Easter Blog Hop


Hello everyone, and welcome to Leslie Rahye's Annual Hippity Hoppity Steampunk Easter Blog Hop. As you may know, several artists get together throughout the year to participate in these blog hops, bringing you their best steampunk creations.  So I hope you will visit each blog, leave each of us a nice comment, and follow our blogs so you don't miss a single thing.  There will be giveaways along the way, so be sure to read to the bottom of each post to see what you need to do to win.  And with that in mind, I am keeping my post short so you can zip through faster and enjoy the pictures.

My flying steampunk Easter egg is made with various materials.  I started out with a metal egg shape from my local craft store, painted with gesso and covered it with printed tissue wrap.  Then I filled it with Creative Paperclay® and made faux riveted metal strips using a technique I learned from Tim Holtz.  He used his metal foil tape, but as you can see, the process translates easily to other mediums as well.
I painted the Paperclay® with silver paint, gave it a wash of black and wiped off the excess.  The roses,  large clock part (lower right) and balloon bird were also made from Paperclay®, painted black, then Gilder's Paste gave it that desired metal look.

Various metal gears were added, and heavy black 20g wire was formed to fit inside, then wire wrapped before being adhered.

More wire and gears were used to connect the egg shape to the balloon bird shape to allow it to hang.  Metal and rhinestone bling were added here and there.

3D paper wings were made from a hammered metal looking paper I had in my stash, embossed in its matching embossing folder, and gilder's paste was again used to highlight the high spots.  I then adhered the wings to the back of the metal egg shape.

Supplies used:

Sin City Stamps:  A Wing Above the Rest
Art Anthology Sorbet Acrylics:  Kona (Altered Pages)
White Gesso (Altered Pages)
Glue n' Seal Matte
Melange Tissue Wrap (Tim Holtz)
Creative Paperclay® modeling material
Lisa Pavelka Connections texture stamp
Adirondack Silver Acrylic Paint Dabber
Charcoal Acrylic Paint
Perfect Pearls:  Cappuccino
Gilder's Paste:  African Bronze, Antique Gold, German Silver, Copper, Verdigris (Altered Pages)
Metal embossing tools (ball and cup, decorative wheels, paper piercer)
Artistic Wire:  10 gauge black; 20 and 22 gauge gun metal
Tim Holtz Idea-ology metal gears
Tim Holtz 3D Wings with matching embossing folder
Metal stud stickers and rhinestone bling

Here are a few close-ups of various parts of my piece.

Sin City Stamp used to mold Paperclay® image

Wire-wrapped gears to connect the two pieces together

Wire-wrapped 20g wire flourishes, clay roses, metal gears
As always, I love having you here.  I hope you will leave me a comment and let me know what you think.  I would really appreciate if you became a follower, too.  That way, you won't miss any of my creative antics.  And please be sure to visit the rest of the bloggers for more fun and creative inspiration.  Links are provided below:
-------------------------------------

Have a very happy Easter!

Barbara

10 comments:

  1. I want to wear that....love! I have just the corset too...it would look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is fabulous! I just love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be so much fun to wear, and it needs a tutorial with pictures for those who are all thumbs and very visual! I'd love to wear this and am sure I have family members who would agree. Fabulous, wonderful, fantastic and most of all BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - you've really done it again. This is stunning. It would look fab on my Easter suit coat! LOL Very steampunk-y and moderne looking. LOVE it!
    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. REALLY AMAZING! Great job with the paperclay. the whole piece is WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - fabulous detail - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING!!! Barbara, you rock steampunk...love all the fabulous details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara this is AWESOME!!! Love how you made the paperclay look like metal!

    ReplyDelete