Oct 1 - November 15, 2014
1st Place Prize
$500 in Products from The Robin's Nest Website
The 1st prize winner will also have $500 product donated to their local craft store
Great way to support your local Scrapbook store
2nd Place Prize
$250.00 in Product from The Robin's Nest Website
3rd Place Prize
$100.00 in Product from The Robin's Nest Website
Audience Choice Prize
$200 in Products from The Robin's Nest Website
Anyway, the search began for that most unique, imaginative and exciting project ever. Then it happened. I saw this on Pinterest. I knew immediately that I had to try to make one of these myself.
Kirsten Hyde shared a template she sketched for this car, but there were no instructions, at least none I could read. It was in Norwegian. So I made a mockup of the template to see if I could figure out how to put this thing together. Well, I'm a persistent little bugger, so I came up with my interpretation. I think it turned out pretty well for not understanding Norwegian.
The Robin's Nest: Khaki Glitter card stock; Wineberry Glitter card stock; Silver Glitter card stock; Gold with Gold Glitter card stock; Hunter Green with Gold Glitter card stock; Goldenberry dew drops; Large Clear Dew Drops
Martha Stewart pine branch punch
EK Success small five petal flower punch
Dewberry Glimmer Mist
1-1/2" wooden wheels; mica piece, various metal beads and findings; lace and trims; mini flowers (Prima); Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold mist; Bead Landing cone shaped beads; Melting Pot; Clear Ultra Thick Embossing Powder (UTEE)
I am not going to give much direction since I would have a very difficult time explaining what I did. It was mostly trial and error. But I do want to share how I made these sweet little flowers for the back. I first spritzed the back side of the Wineberry glitter card stock with Dewberry Glimmer Mist so there would be color on the back of the flower petals. Then I punched out 16 small flowers using this punch from EK Success, and cupped each one with my embossing stylus on a piece of fun foam.
I layered four petals together for each flower, and this is the result. Aren't they sweet?
But I was not done yet. I melted some clear UTEE in my melting pot and dipped each flower into it, glazing it, for a glass look. If you look carefully, you can see them in the photo below. They are the darker roses between the pre-made flowers I added. I also added the pine bough sprigs that I had punched from the Hunter Green glitter card stock.
I added lace and trims, and cut out various shapes from my Silhouette cut files using the Gold Glitter with Gold card stock, adding gold and pearl dew drops here and there.
To make the headlights, I glued the large clear dew drops to a filigree cone shape, bending the tops back to allow me to glue the dew drop to it.
Here is a view from above. I added a thin piece of mica to the windshield for strengthening the windshield frame.
I painted four wooden wheels with white acrylic paint, then misted with Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold. These were glued to a wooden dowel and placed beneath the car.
Oh yes, and what would any respectful vintage car be without a rear bumper? I had these large curved beads so I used the plain silver one for my bumper, and the fancier one for decoration on top of the seat back.A few more views from each side. The bumper strips were cut from the Silver glitter card stock, while the body of the car was cut from the Khaki glitter card stock. I brought a bit more of the Wineberry glitter card stock color into it by covering the inside and seat with it.
Well, that's it! I hope you enjoyed my vintage car as much as I enjoyed making it. It was a struggle there for awhile, but I am happy I persevered and was able to finish it.
Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you will vote for my project at The Robin's Nest. You can vote for your favorite once per day from 1 November through 30 November.
Have a fabulous week!