Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mixed Media Card with Easy Pinched Coffee Filter Flowers and ColourArte Radiant Rains

Hello everyone!  Barbara here with an easy mixed media card, and even easier pinched flowers made from coffee filters and beautiful colors of ColourArte Radiant Rains.  Did you know that Radiant Rains come two ways, in a spray bottle and in a dauber bottle.  The colors in both are very highly pigmented and yes, a little goes a long way.

I made the mistake of buying the wrong type of coffee filters, so  I had this huge package of cone style filters when I actually needed the basket style.  Ho hum, I hate to throw perfectly good things away, so I needed to figure out some way to use these.  I think I have found at least one perfect use, making flowers with them.  I wonder what else we can come up with.  Let me know if you have any more ideas.
Spray a piece of  7-1/2" x 5-1/2" watercolor paper with Radiant Rains Shimmering Mists in Ginger Peach, Teal Zircon, Snapdragon and Elderberry.  Dry with your heat gun.
Trim watercolor paper to 4-3/4" x 6-3/4".  Dab white gesso through stencil, dry with heat gun.
Spritz over the stenciled area with Radiant Rain Sweet Whisper shimmering mist.
Edge watercolor paper with Radiant Rain Egyptian Gold dauber, and then shake dauber onto background, leaving these gorgeous shimmery gold specks.  Set aside while we make some flowers.
 Oh my gosh, can you see those gorgeous gold splotches in this closup?  They look almost like gold coins.  Oooh la la.  I love them.  I think I even captured some of the beautiful shimmer in the background colors.  Okay, I digress.
Die cut flowers in different sizes from coffee filters.
Spray with Radiant Rains Pink Grapefruit Shimmering Mist.  Dry with heat gun.
Pinch the large flower in the middle and give it a twist to make something like this.  Dab white gesso over the petals for a shabby look.  This one reminds me of a cabbage rose.
This flower was made in a similar way by layering two of the flowers (shown in white) and pinching in the middle, then giving it a twist.  This one looks a lot like an azalea bloom to me.
Continue to make flowers in different sizes and colors.  I used the Elderberry and Snapdragon for the purple flowers, and added some Ginger Peach to the centers for color variations.
Cut leaf shapes from left over sections of coffee filters.  I did not worry about the crimped edges because these will be the part of the leaf that gets glued beneath the flowers.  Lay them all out and spritz with water first.  Then spritz with Radiant Rain Spanish Moss shimmering mist.  Dry with heat gun, then fold down the middle and twist the bottom to give them dimension.  See the three at the bottom and center of  the pic.
Ink the bare "Hello Dear" wood veneer (pic 1) with archival black ink (pic 2).  Let dry.  Add white gesso over the wood and let dry (pic 3).  Add Hydrangea and Forget-Me-Not archival ink with a makeup sponge and, when dry, dab Egyptian Gold over the wood (pic 4).  Wipe off excess.
Make a 5" x 7" card from purple card stock.  Adhere watercolor paper to front.

Arrange your flowers and leaves in a pleasing manner, and
adding some bits of coiled twine and a twine bow.
And here is a close up from the side of these beautiful, easy to make, coffee filter flowers.  Aren't the colors luscious.  I only wish the camera would show what can only be seen in person.  They are even more shimmery than the picture demonstrates.
Adhere the wood veneer sentiment at the top.
And one last look at the card.


ColourArte Supplies Used:

Radiant Rain Shimmering Mists:  Elderberry, Snapdragon, Teal Zircon, Sweet Whisper, Ginger PeachSpanish Moss
Radiant Rain Color Concentrate Dauber:  Egyptian Gold

Other Supplies Used:
Purple card stock
White 90lb hot press watercolor paper
Ink Pads:  Archival Jet Black, Forget-Me-Not, Hydrangea
White gesso
Wood Veneer (Studio Calico)
Coffee filters (white)
Tattered Flowers die (Sizzix)
Twine

I hope you enjoyed my project today, and believe me when I say that mixed media is easy with ColourArte products.  I hope you will stop by their website and check them out.

Before I go, though, I want to remind you that we will be having an extremely fun blog hop at the end of this month.  The design team will be sharing their renditions of altered shoes. Should be pretty interesting, don't you think?  So save the date and be sure to come join us for lots of inspiration.


Thanks for stopping by, and until next time, have a fabulous weekend, and stay crafty, my friends!

Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Barbara! This card is sooo pretty!! i can't believe those are paper flowers!! xo

    ReplyDelete