Saturday, July 4, 2015

STEAMPUNK Mixed Media Canvas with ColourArte

Hello everyone!  Today, I want to share my project for the ColourArte Design Team Call.
 
I am in a bit of a steampunk mood again, and I got lots of steampunk chippies (that's slang for chipboard) from Gina's Designs to use with all of my ColourArte Perfect Paints.  I pulled out some papers, a 12x12 canvas, and lots of metal to get me started.  So lets do just that!


Glue two pieces of scrapbook paper to the canvas, tearing one and layering it over the other, as shown.
Begin adhering chipboard alphabet randomly to the center of the canvas and the word "STEAMPUNK" along the top.
Paint background with white gesso and let dry.  Randomly add molding paste through mini grid stencil and let dry. The stenciled areas will show up in following photos when color is added.

Spray background with Radiant Rain Mists Fern, Key Lime, Seafoam, and Elderberry.  Dab some Hot Cinnamon Radiant Rain dauber randomly, then spray Radiant Rain Butternut Shimmering Mist over all.
I know it may seem crazy, but apply a wash of white gesso over entire background again and let dry.  Mixed media is all about layers, i.e., layers of texture and color.  The wash still allows some of the previous colors to shine through.  Next, paint background with Radiant Gels Olive Vine, Key Lime, Emperor's Gold, and Spiced Pumpkin.  Let this layer dry.  
Try as I might, the camera just cannot see all the colors I see in person.  Trust me, they are there.
Use Green Pearls Radiant Gel to highlight around the letters "STEAMPUNK" to make them pop, then randomly add it to the background, mixing with Twilight to get that beautiful turquoise color.  Apply patches of Luv U Pink and Autumn Leaf Radiant Gels.  
Awww, there it is,  a mix of all the colors radiating out into the light.  
Now to work on the embellishments.  Ink bottom of dress form with Versamark ink, heat emboss with Pewter Iced Enamels.  Trace and cut out top of dress form onto a piece of silver aluminum foil and emboss with Tim Holtz Diamond Plate embossing folder.  Antique with DecoArt Black Shimmer.
Adhere embossed foil to top of dress form and adhere a small scrap of chipboard to the back to add some lift when it gets applied to the canvas.
Ink wings with Versamark ink, heat emboss with Turquoise Iced Enamels.

Delaminate a piece of mica.  Lay mica over the hourglass portion, trace and cut out the outline of the glass only.  Set aside.  

Heat emboss the rest of the hourglass with Versamark ink and Chartreuse Iced Enamels.

Adhere mica to hourglass with 3D Crystal Lacquer or Glossy Accents.  Ooooh, doesn't it look like there is sand inside?  


Adhere the chipboard pieces to the canvas, as shown.  This half of the photo shows a closeup of the dress form and wings, some paper and metal flowers, gears and other steampunk style embellishments.  Can you tell which gears are chipboard and which are metal?

I also used the Egyptian Gold Radiant Rain dauber over the wings, flowers, and embellishments to give them a cohesiveness and make them appear even more metallic.
I added a metal spring and metal studs over the dress form.
On this half, you can see the chipboard bird with his mechanical parts and key winder to make those gears turn.  He was embossed with rust embossing powder, and Egyptian Gold Radiant Rain dauber added randomly.
The hourglass was also added, a "rusted" chipboard key, and more metal!
To really make the STEAMPUNK letter pop, I used a charcoal pencil and water brush to detail around each letter.
And here are two closeups of each side of the chipboard gears border at the bottom of the canvas.
Aren't these colors just fabulous?  I cannot say enough good things about ColourArte.  They truly have become my "go to" paints.
Now, let's finish off the sides of the canvas. In keeping with the metal theme, emboss a 14" strip of 2" wide silver aluminum foil tape with the Diamond Plate embossing folder.  I cut a slit in the top of my embossing folder so I could keep the tape running through continuosly.  Paint a light coat of the black antiquing creme over the entire strip.  When dry, use a soft damp cloth to remove excess paint.
Add a coat of Patina color to the aluminum strip and wipe away the excess.
Cut aluminum into ½" wide strips.  You need four. 
Adhere the strips around the canvas to cover the edges and give it that Steampunk style metal finish.


Supplies used:

Finnabair A4 paper pad (Prima)
Chipboard alphabet (my stash)
White gesso (Liquitex)
Regular Matte Gel Medium (Golden)
Extra Heavy Gel/Molding Paste (Golden)
Carbon Black Antiquing Creme (DecoArt)
Stencils:  Mini Sketch Grid (TCW456s)
Embossing folder:  Diamond Plate (Tim Holtz)
Black Shimmer Metallic Lustre (DecoArt)
Versamark inkpad
Gilders Paste: Copper, Patina, German Silver
Iced Enamels (Susan Lenart Kazmer): Pewter, Turquoise
2" wide silver aluminum foil tape (hardware store)
3D Crystal Lacquer
Prima paper flowers, metal flowers and trinkets
Blue Glass Glitter (Melissa Frances)
Metal studs (CTMH)
Charcoal Pencil

I know this was a long post with lots of photos, but I try really hard to get realistic, true-to-life pictures of this fabulous paint products from ColourArte.  I hope I was able to do just that, and I am thankful to you if you were able to stay with me this far.

As always, I am so glad you stopped by today, and I would love to hear what you think about my project.

Have a wonderful and creative week, my crafty friends!

Barbara

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful canvas, love all the details and especially the step out photos for the tutorial they are fabulous. You really can rock the ColorArt Products and love what you do with chipboard....whoop, whoop!!! I am all about photos that I can look at and actually learn something from...not a huge video fan, lol. Good luck on the ColorArt Design Team audition. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your canvas is gorgeous Barbara, you do steampunk so well! good luck with the call hugs, Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWSER!! So much to see, so many textures, and the colors blend together beautifully! Good luck with the design call...you have certainly brought me to the Steampunk side of the street

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your steampunk canvas, as always you do a fabulous job with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sweet comments, everyone. I just love the ColourArte products! They truly are the best paints out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara,
    Your steampunk canvas is totally gorgeous and wonderful. I love the textures, mediums you used, and beautiful colors - it is amazing and your step-by-step tutorial is wonderful! (Fingers and toes crossed for you).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You work blows me away. Your sense of style and color are truly masterful. You really deserve to be on the DT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous canvas, Barbara, great tutorial!
    Good luck with DT call

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, this is absolutely phenomenal!! I just love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. steampunk rocks... fun project, thanks for your interest in being aprt of the Colourarte team again

    ReplyDelete