Thursday, August 25, 2016

Upcycled Marker Container with Craftwell USA eBrush

Hi everyone!  Today I have another up cycled project on the Craftwell Blog using my Craftwell eBrush.  August 17th was National Thrift Shop Day, so to honor this quirky holiday, the Craftwell design team has been given a challenge to upcycle a thrift store item or something around the house.  

If you've been following my posts lately, then you may be aware that I save all kinds of bottles and jars.  And it just so happens that I am in need of a container to store my newly purchased set of 25 Sharpie markers.  Here's where the up cycling comes in!




First, you need to remove any stickers or labels from both the jar and the lid.  



Measure the height and circumference of the jar and lid and cut pieces of inexpensive watercolor paper or card stock accordingly.  I am using a piece of 9x12 piece of 90lb watercolor paper as my base.  


For this particular jar, the 12" length wrapped around it with just a bit of overlap, and the height measures just about 5" tall.  Any excess can be trimmed away.  (NOTE:  I ended up trimming another 1/4" off of the long strip to accommodate the curve of the jar along the bottom.)



Spread texture paste through a stencil with a spatula.  The paste is actually white but is picking up residual color left on the stencil.  Let the paste dry.


When applying the paste, move the stencil and realign the design, as shown.


To ensure a good white base for your marker colors, coat paper with white gesso and let dry.


eBrush the background with the hot pink marker.


eBrush the background with the bright yellow marker.  I love how the eBrush layers the colors on so beautifully and with a transparency that allows you to see all the colors shine through.


eBrush the background with the orange marker.


For my next and final color, I used a dark purple marker and eBrushed it all over the background, giving it a speckled effect. 


I figured I would need a circle measuring close to 3-3/8" across.  Either trace the top and cut inside the pencil lines, or use a circle die, as I have done.  This die measures just a bit smaller, but the goal is to get close.  


I used my Craftwell Cut n' boss machine to cut the circle die as well as a corresponding scalloped circle from white card stock.


For the circle, just color the inside lightly with the hot pink marker, then darken the outer edges with both the dark pink and bright yellow., as shown.


Cut a 1/2" x 12" border strip and repeat the steps above using the same four markers colors for the scalloped circle and border strip.  Measurements may vary according to sizes of lids and jars you may be using.


 I painted the edges of the plastic (red) lid with a gold leafing pen.


Adhere the papers to both the lid and around the jar, as shown.




I used my Cut n' boss machine to emboss a scrap of white card stock with the Teresa Collins Beautiful Words A6 embossing folder.


Cut out the words "HAPPY" and "STUFF".  eBrush both words with the hot pink, dark pink and bright yellow markers to match the top circle.  Highlight the embossed letters with a gold ink pad.  You may need to heat set the ink with a heat tool. 


Then I adhered each word to a piece of chipboard and then to the top of the lid.  Isn't this a fabulous embossing folder?  Just think of the possibilities with all those fun words.


Next, I molded an embellishment from paper clay and eBrushed it with the dark pink, hot pink, and bright yellow to match the lid colors.


I then highlighted the piece with the gold leaving pen.


Then, I adhered lace to the top, bottom, and center areas of the jar, as shown.  I was careful not to add any bulk to the center piece where the embellishment would be glued, as shown below.\

I also used my electronic die cutting machine to cut out the words "Sharpie Markers" onto a scrap to the same white card stock and again colored them with the same three markers as before to match the lid colors.


I adhered both the clay embellishment and the cut out words "Sharpie Markers" to the front of my lid.


And a view from the top, with those fun embossed words.


And was I happy when my set of 25 Sharpie Markers had finally found a home.


Supplies Used:

Spellbinders dies:  S4-114-Standard Circles LG, S4-124-Classic Scalloped Circles LG 
Empty Jar
9x12 90lb Watercolor paper or white card stock
Stencil
Texture Paste
Clay Mold 
Paper clay
Gold ink pad
Gold leafing pen
Lace


There will be more fun projects featuring up cycled projects, so make sure to check out the Craftwell Blog all month long for more inspiration from the team. 

Thanks for stopping by, and have a crafty day!



SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment