Monday, June 27, 2016

Gliding Through the Sky Canvas

Hi everyone!  Barbara here today with a fluttery-steampunk-style mixed media canvas using Altered Pages products and our those from our partner, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts!


First, I grabbed a 6"x9" Canvas Panel Board and gave it a light coat of Liquitex Gesso before I added a bit of molding paste through a stencil.  Then I laid out my Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts chipboard pieces to see how they will look.


I always give my chipboard a light coat of gesso before adding color.  In this case, I used the Chalk Paints in Brown, Romance, and Heritage.  I used a sponge or Ranger Blending Tool to pick up the colors and dab them onto the chipboard.  I find this works better than a brush because it does not fill in any of the small openings in the laser cuts.


I was going for a rusty look, and I even added some brown to the Pen Nibs to make them look old.  Set these aside to dry.


Back to the canvas, I painted the background with Heritage Chalk Paints, then unevenly spread a coat of crackle paint in the corners.  After that dried and crackled, I grabbed my Splash Inks and added a light wash of Yellow over the entire background.


Then I added a wash of the blue and more yellow to give some green tones to the background.


A wash of blue and red Splash Inks gives me a fabulous purple color.  Simply vary the ratios to get more blue or more purple colors.  Just play with them.  They are so much fun to work with.

I wanted some metallics to add to the background to make things pop, so I pulled out my Metallic Rub-on Sets and applying the colors (your choice) to high spots on the canvas.  Your finger is the best tool for applying these creamy metallics.  I also added some of the green metallic rub-on from the kit around the edges of the canvas.


For more dimension, I added Dew Drops to the centers of the stenciled "flowers".  It really makes them pop!


My canvas is now ready to embellish with my chipboard pieces.  I simply glued them in place with Aleene's Tacky Glue, as shown below.  The large clock hand and two gears were glued over the large butterfly, and the Pen Nibs were glued over the two smaller butterflies.


Still playing with colors on my canvas, I dug out my Mica Paint Palettes and applied more metallic colors (your choice) to the background where I wanted to give some shine to the piece.  I used Water brushes to apply these, as it makes for quick work of adding the colors!


For my last layer of color, I used a Ranger Blending Tool to add Patina Mixed Media Salazar Inkx over parts of the background.


Cut out the phrase from the Fly With Steam collage sheet and adhere to chipboard for strength, then adhere to canvas with Dimensional Adhesives for dimension.


And once again, the finished piece.


SUPPLIES USED:

Altered Pages Fly With Steam collage sheet
Canvas Panel Board
Liquitex Gesso
Chalk Paints
Ranger Blending Tool
Splash Inks
Mica Paint Palettes
Metallic Rub-on Sets
Mixed Media Salazar Inkx (Patina)
Dew Drops
Pen Nibs
Water brushes
Alene's Tacky Glue
Dimensional Adhesives
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts (butterfly of gears, butterflies, clock hands, gears)

I hope you enjoyed my mixed media canvas today.  Please be sure to visit Altered Pages and Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts for more fun products to use in your everyday art!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful, creative week!

Barbara

6 comments: