Monday, July 1, 2013

Double Diagonal Pocket Card

Hello TRN fans.  So glad you stopped by today.  As you may already know, I am so pleased to tell you that I get to work with the wonderful team at The Robin's Nest for another six months, and I could not be more excited.  We all have some wonderful things in store for you in the upcoming months and want to share them with you.

This month's theme is animal prints, and anyone who knows me is aware that I am an animal lover.  So this theme is very close to my heart.  We are also teaming up with  Gina's Designs this month, and I think you are going to love their products as well.

So, today I am going to show you how to make a double diagonal pocket card.  I love this style of card because it is more than just a card... it is a gift that keeps on giving.  You can include so many different things in each pocket, like a bookmark, a gift card, a tea bag, a special note, or even a treasured photo of you and your family.  I'll bet you can think of some really nice things to add to the pockets, too.  So let's get started.


Supplies:

The Robin's Nest Cardstock:  Summer Pink Classic Glitter,
                                               Pink Leopard on Pink Glitter,
                                               Teal Giraffe,
                                               Blue Glitter Elephant
The Robin's Nest Jade Diamond Dew Drops
The Robin's Nest Metallic Teal Dew Drops
Gina's Designs Cardstock Doily Set Intricates
Rumple Ribbon (Para-dise, Ocean View)
Adhesive tape
Glossy Accents

Directions:

Cut Summer Pink Classic Glitter CS to 9" x 12", fold in half lengthwise.

Fold card in half lengthwise, open up and fold again crosswise.  Cut along fold line to the center, as shown.
Turn paper over and working from the back side, fold corner of A down (Flap A), aligning edge about 3/8" away from the center fold.  Fold  corner of D up (Flap D), aligning edge with center fold.



Fold A over B.
Fold C and D up while folding C to the back.
You now have a 4-1/2" x 6" card with double pockets.
Here is what the inside looks like.  Since this paper is white on the reverse, you have a nice area for writing your sentiments.
However, as you can see in the photo above, the white side of B is on the card front, and I want to add some pretty paper to cover it.  So I opened my card back up, cut a piece of Pink Leopard on Pink Glitter to the same size as B, and attach it to the front.
To finish up, I simply adhered the corner flaps down, then added red liner adhesive, as shown in photo below, so that when folded up properly, all pockets are sealed.


I fussy cut one of the elephants from the Blue Glitter Elephant CS, shaped him a bit with my fingers, and added him to the front of the card with foam dots, over the Gina's Designs Cardstock Doily Set Intricates.   (See finished card photo).
I made a simple tag for the inner pocket using Blue Glitter Elephant CS.  I selected this portion for my tag.
Cut the tag to a size you like, trimming the top at an angle on each side, and rounding the bottom corners.  I attached an eyelet and twine at the top, and decorated with, what else, Jade Diamond Jade Diamond Dew Drops.  You could also add a piece of the Animal Ribbon to the top.  
  
Here is a picture of the card with only this tag in the back pocket.
If you want to stamp a sentiment on the back of the tag, this paper is double-sided and has a wonderful design on the back as well.  You could also cut diagonal slits in the paper to hold a gift card for your recipient, or even easier, just use a removable glue dot to stick it to the tag.

To make the giraffe bookmark, I cut a corner from the Teal Giraffe CS, as shown in the picture.  I liked this particular section of the paper for my next idea.  I could envision him hanging his head out from one of the pockets on my card front.
I fussy cut around the giraffe's head and neck.  I decided to turn him into a bookmark.  Most bookmarks are around 2" wide, so I made straight cuts on either side of the body, and fussy cut any remaining portions around the giraffe.  I rounded the corners, then added an eyelet and twine to the top.  I chose not to add dew drops because I think bookmarks should be flat, so they do not leave any indentations on your book pages.
 
Insert the bookmark into the first pocket, allowing his head to extend past the fold.  Wouldn't you just love to have a giraffe in your pocket?

Now you see what I mean about this being the card that keeps on giving?  And who wouldn't want to receive a fun card like this?  

I hope you enjoyed my project today and are inspired by these fun, beautiful animal prints.  
Animal prints are on sale all month at a whopping 20% off, and you can check out all of the wonderful papers and embellishments in this and all categories right here.  And a special thanks to our sponsor this month, Gina's Designs, for sharing their fun products with us to share with you.

Be sure to visit The Chattering Robin's Blog regularly this month for more animal print fun from the fabulous design team.

Have a simply wonderful and safe 4th of July holiday, and thanks so much for stopping by.

Barbara

24 comments:

  1. This turned out fabulous. I love how everyone is using the papers this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice card! Am anxious to do this, and it looks easy, and as you say, who wouldn't want a card like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such easy directions! So many video tutorials are an hour long. Who has time for that?

    ReplyDelete