Thursday, August 9, 2018

Mixed Media Art Journal Page - Dreamcatcher with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts

Hi everyone, and welcome! Today I want to share another art journal page using the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Dreamcatcher 2 chipboard set.  When I think of dreams, I seem to think in vivid color and lots of sparkly stuff.  So, naturally, I decided to share my gold foiling technique that I used on both my background and on the chipboard.  And as for the glitter, I know what you are thinking.  You are thinking, "Oh no, not glitter.  I will have that stuff everywhere1!"  Well, I have another technique to share that will keep  you from wearing your glitter, or in this case, sparkly mica, for the next week.  So, scroll on down and check out the step-by-step tutorial to see how!


Cover both pages with an uneven coat of white gesso using a silicone spatula, leaving some space uncovered.  Let gesso dry.


Brush  Deep Waters metallic paint over background.  Spritz with water to thin and spread paint.  Before paint dries, remove excess with damp baby wipe. 




(NOTE:  You can see how dark the paint is where the page has no gesso because it sucked the paint right into its fibers.)


Use baby wipe to pick up the Deep Waters and dab the paint through the Well Rounded stencil to add texture to the background.  You can remove some of the stenciling before the paint dries for a more muted and grungy look.  Dry well.


Do the same thing with Coral-Teal Opal Magic paint through another section of the same stencil. 


I used a foam blending tool to stencil the Emerald Green Metallique paint through a different part of the stencil. 


I used the Steampunk Copper Metallic paint with a foam blending tool to dab the color onto the words and dream catcher.  Using a dabbing motion adds texture to the chipboard and even gives the slight appearance of hammered metal. 


For a bit of color variation on the feathers, I dabbed the Emerald Green lightly over them.


I used the Tomboy mono adhesive (white) glue to adhere splotches of the gold foil.  This is not gold leafing.  Gold foil is applied to a clear carrier sheet, and when it touches sticky glue, the gold comes off and leaves the carrier sheet.  I used a cheap brush to apply random splotches to my background and let the glue dry.  This particular glue is perfect for this application because it drys sticky. 


I used the same technique to apply the glue to my dreamcatcher.  You can see the gold is coming off the clear carrier sheet, but you can continue using it until there is nothing left on the sheet.


I also added some of the gold foil to the top of the dreamcatcher, using a new piece of the sheet for better coverage.


Next, I adhered all of my chipboard pieces to my art journal pages, as shown.  I let these dry well before continuing so I wouldn't accidentally move them around.  Then I took the journal outside to give it a good spray with a clear gloss acrylic coating.  This covered any of the sticky glue that may not have been covered with the foil, and protects the pages, as well.


Now for the addition of glitter.  I prefer to mix my glitter in a puddle of clear drying glue.  I am using Mica Delights, which is actually mica particles that resemble glitter and are about the same size.  I mixed copper and gold together for a more antiqued look.


I then picked up small blobs of the glue mixture and carefully dropped it into the openings in each feather. 


Before the glue mixture dried, I picked up the tiniest amount of the sapphire mica and sprinkled gently over the glue sections.  I wanted just a hint of the blue.  I also glued dew drops to the dreamcatcher and feathers, as well as a few more colorful ones randomly on the page. 


Here is a closer look at the dried glue inside the feathers.


And here are closer pictures of the two pages.



Although I added  Simple Feathers in my supply list below, I would have used them if I had been working in a bigger art journal.  My words were large enough to fill up the pages, but I wanted to point them out in case you work in a larger size and can't think of what to add to your project to make it all come together.  

Supplies Used:
GSL 10 Words
GSL Simple Feathers (not used on this journal page)
TCW 384s Mini Well Rounded stencil
Dina Wakley white gesso
Prima Art Alchemy acrylic paints
  Deep Waters Metallique
  Emerald Green Metallique
  Steampunk Copper Metallique
  Coral-Teal Opal Magic
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue 
Paper Studio Clear Glue Pen
US Art Quest Mica Delights
  Gold
  Copper
  Sapphire
Robin's Nest Dew Drops
  Light Vanilla
  Multi colors
Rub-On Foiling Paper
Silicone spatula
Assorted brushes
Paper piercer tool or tooth pick
Clear Acrylic Spray Sealer (Hobby Lobby)

I love how this turned out.  I know I may sound like a broken record when I say that chipboard is fabulous to use for dimension without all the bulk, and it is a perfect addition to art journals, as well as many other uses. 

I hope I've inspired you to make something with laser cut chipboard and share what you make!

Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Barbara xo

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous spread Barbara!! Love your colors, they are magical!!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. bagus tempatnya G Art Studiodijadikan tempat hangout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great article I did enjoyed reading it, I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from again. I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a good day.

    ReplyDelete