Monday, July 8, 2013

Rose Water Bottle with Creative Paperclay®

Hello there, Creative Paperclay® fans, and welcome back.  Today I have a really super fun project that looks like it was very hard to make, but so very easy!  I was inspired by a video I saw where the artist was making ceramic roses.  I wondered if I could do the same thing with Paperclay®, and best of all,  Paperclay® does not have to be fired in a kiln.  It air dries!  Here is a photo of my finished piece.  I really love how this turned out, and I have to say, I truly amazed myself.
Supplies:
Creative Paperclay® modeling material
Altered Arts Collage Sheet AP-392 - Beauty Labels
Maya Mists (Pink Mist)
Glimmer Mists (Viva Pink, Suflower, Pinecone, Olive Vine, Coral, English Ivy)
Distress Ink (Brushed Corduroy)
Treasure Gold metallic wax finish (Rose Quartz)
Vanilla acrylic paint
Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer
Glass bottle

Directions:

I found this bottle in the clearance aisle at my local craft store.
Clean the bottle with alcohol to remove any oils or residue.

Roll out a long strand of Paperclay® and attach to bottle.
I misted the bottle with water so the Paperclay® will stick to the bottle while it is drying in the desired shape.
When the strands are dry, remove them from the bottle and mist them with the Pinecone mist.  Let dry.

Clean residue from bottle again and set aside.

To make the roses, I have a series of photos for you to see the step-by-step process.

Press seven pieces of clay onto your craft sheet.  These pieces are probably about 1/16" thick, i.e., a little bit thicker than a piece of computer printer paper.   Imperfection is key to making these rose petals.  I know, I can hardly believe I said that, but trust me on this one.  Rose petals are never equal, and the uneven shapes make the best roses.

First, tightly roll one of the small pieces of Paperclay® to form the center bud.
Add a second clay petal to the bud.
Offset each clay petal as you attach them to the previous petal.  Pinch the bottom, and gently manipulate the outer edges of the petals as you work around.







When you finish attaching the petals, you will find that a bit of the clay extruded out from the bottom as you were pinching, so cut off the excess, pinch and form into a neater, small flower bottom.

While these are air drying, make tiny little leaves.  These are so easy to make.  Simply press small bits of Paperclay® onto your craft sheet (or a piece of wax paper) and trim into marquee shapes.  Add veins with a toothpick or clay tool, if you have one.
Color the roses and leaves with the mists.  Let dry.  I wanted to add a bit of shabbiness to the roses, so I dabbed a tiny bit of watered down vanilla acrylic paint around the petals.  I also added a touch of brown distress ink to the strands to give them a more mottled, natural look.
After the roses dried, I highlighted the petals with Treasure Gold (Rose Quartz).  Unfortunately, the pictures do not do it justice, but I think you get the idea.
Now that your bottle is clean again, and your clay pieces are made, it is time to embellish the bottle.  I first chose a small vintage perfume label that fit inside this pretty little metal frame.  After gluing it inside the frame, I added 3D Crystal Lacquer to the inside.  I used a post-it note to represent where I was going to place the frame while I continued to add the clay pieces.
Attach the branch strands to the bottle in a pleasing manner.  You can use either a glue gun or a good, quick grab glue.  Begin gluing your roses and leaves onto the bottle, along the branches.
Attach the metal framed perfume label to the front, as shown.
Add some rose water to your bottle, and you are done!  What do you think?  Wouldn't this make a wonderful gift for someone special?

I hope you enjoyed my project, and that I have inspired you to make some Creative Paperclay® roses.  They are so easy and fun, you may not want to stop.  As always, I want to thank you for stopping by, and hope you will visit the Creative Paperclay® online store, as well as the blog to see what our other fabulous designers have created for you!

Since google reader is about to disappear, I would love it if you would follow my blog through bloglovin'.  Just click on the button in the upper right hand corner.  Thanks so much for stopping by today, and have a wonderful, creative week!

Barbara

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, I love the outcome of all your beautiful fun creative work. You made it look so easy. YOu have inspired me to try making them by hand and imagination. You are the best. Love this keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Hard to believe that is clay- great colors too... Beautiful, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This technique reminds me of cake decorating roses- I am going to have to try working with paper clay - I wish Altered Pages carried it. Where do you get yours? Love this beautiful bottle!

    ReplyDelete