Monday, October 14, 2013

Mixed Media Halloween Card and Pocket Envelope

Hello everyone, and welcome back.  Barbara here with my second post for October.  I hope everyone is having some wonderful Fall weather.  I suppose if I had to choose my favorite time of year, this would be it.  I love the Fall colors, the cooler weather, and looking ahead to the upcoming holidays. This month, The Robin's Nest is showcasing their Classified line of papers, all on sale.  No coupons necessary.  What I love about this collection is the simplicity in turning it into any color paper you choose. You can mix and match and colorize these papers because they all have a resist printed onto each one.  And our sponsor this month is my favorite stamp company, Sin City Stamps.

I made this mixed media Halloween card just especially for you today.  It was quite easy to do, and the really cool thing is that no two will ever look alike.


Supplies used:

The Robin's Nest:  Damask Black and WhiteOrange Glitter CrackleHalloween Glitter Stripe, Classified card stock,  Large clear dew drops, Limoncello Yellow mini dew dropsMascarade Diamond Shaped dew drops
Sin City Stamps:  Halloween BingoHalloween Takes Flight
Crystal Beads (Connie Crystals)
Distress Inks (DI): Dusty Concord, Ripe Persimmon, Peeled Paint, Scattered Straw,
Distress Paints (DP): Crushed Olive, Ripe Persimmon
Distress Stains (DS):  Mowed Lawn, Gathered Twigs,
VersaMark ink pad
Frost White pigment ink pad (Colorbox)
Black detail embossing powder
Glossy Accents (Ranger)
Sizzix die:  Pocket Envelope, Owl, Bat Garland (Tim Holtz)
Long reach 1/4" hole punch (McGill)
Crop-a-dile (to set eyelets) or eyelet setter
Two 1/4" orange eyelets
6" yellow Timeless Twine (Bella Creationz)

Directions:

Cut Black Classic Glitter card stock to 10" x 7", fold in half to make 5" x 7" card base.

Cut Damask Black and White card stock to 10" x 7".
Mist card stock with water first, then add Mowed Lawn DI and Crushed Olive DP over all.  Continue misting with water and allow to blend; dry with heat gun and wipe up excess moisture with paper towel.
Mist again with water and add Ripe Persimmon DP, continuing to mist and allow to blend and drip.  Dry with heat gun and wipe up excess moisture again with paper towel.
Mist both side of paper and wad up into a ball a couple of times. I know this looks scary, the The Robin's Nest paper is very high quality paper and can withstand a lot of abuse.  The paper begins to feel like handmade paper or cloth.
Unfold paper and spread it out.
I hit the high spots with Dusty Concord DI and allowed to dry.  I love how this looks now.
Tear a piece off to fit the front of your card and ink the edges with Gathered Twigs DS.  Adhere to card front, leaving the very edges unglued for dimension.
Stamp bingo card and spider circle from Halloween Bingo onto the reverse side of Orange Glitter Crackle and Halloween Glitter Stripe card stock using VersaMark ink and black detail embossing powder.  Heavily distress and ink the bingo card edges.  I used the Gathered Twigs DS to get a deep, dark, rich, almost burnt effect on the edges.  Every time I use my mixed mediums, I learn something new.  Adhere the bingo card to the front at a slight angle.

Add Large clear dew drops to each spider circle to use as bingo markers.  I like Glossy Accents for this.
Attach to the bingo card numbers.  (See finished photo above).

I made one more embellishment to add to the card using a couple of crystal beads slipped onto a corsage pin and held in place with a plastic ear night (the white piece in the photo).  I used a green Copic marker to colorize the pearl on the top.    I attached it to the paper (upper right in finished photo above).
Next, I made this cute little coin envelope using my die cut and the Classified card stock.
I die cut the owl in the center to make a window.  Save the owl for a later step.
Blend Ripe Persimmon, Scattered Straw, and Peeled Paint all over the front of the envelope.

Follow directions with the die to tape make the envelope and attach the string ties.  Before attaching the round ties with the eyelets, insert one end of the twine through the hole in the top flap, insert the eyelet and set.


Trim Black Glitter Bats card stock to the size of an ATC (2-1/2" x 3-1/2") and insert reverse (plain) side into the pocket.  Adhere owl die cut through window opening.

Stamp Boo and Goblin in Versamark and emboss with white embossing powder.  Edge card corners with white pigment ink and heat set.  Add two mini yellow dew drops to the eyes.
Add bat garland die cut and black and orange diamond shaped dew drops along top of envelope.

Owl now shows through window and the paper designs match perfectly.  How cool is that?

And here is what the back looks like.
This would make a wonderful gift card holder, too.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Robin's Nest is having a Masquerade Contest beginning today through 15 November.  Check out all the details by clicking here.  You could be a winner.

Well, that's it for this month, but I will be back next month with some new ideas to share with you.  In the meantime, I hope you liked my projects today and that I have inspired you to try this versatile Classified collection of papers, as well as the high quality rubber stamps from Sin City Stamps.  And while you are browsing, I think you would enjoy visiting the Robin's Nest blog and the Sin City Stamps blog.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful week!

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment