Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Mixed Media Tag: Authentic

Hey there, ColourArte-ists!  I have a summery tag to share today.  I suppose it is my one last attempt at hanging on to the the warm weather.  In spite of the fact that I love Fall, I love that period of time just before the chill in the air hits.  I just received this beautiful stamp for my birthday and the amazing water droplets stamp from Designs by Ryn in my design team package, and I could not wait to use them with my beautiful ColourArte Silks Acrylic Glazes.  A very dear friend and talented artist, Pam Bray, gave me a quick lesson on side-loading a paint brush, so here is my feeble, but not too bad, attempt at shading.    



Directions:

Stamp Divine flower stamp onto a piece of 4" x 9" acrylic paper with VersaFine Onyx Black ink, let dry thoroughly.
Using a damp brush, pick up Apricot Nectar Silks and color in both the flowers and buds.  Add shading with a side-loading brush technique, using more water for a lighter color, and less water for a deeper color.   As you can see in the photo below, one color was used on all flowers, but color variations were obtained with the amount of water added.
To obtain depth and dimension, side load a damp brush with Ginger Flower Silks and deepen the edges of the petals where they would be darkest, blending into the flower petals.
Using a small liner brush, color the stems with Moss Green Silks.
Stamp the image onto scrap paper or post it notes, cut out to use as a mask.   Cover each flower petal and bud.
Spread light molding paste through the grungy numbers stencil with a spatula.  Let dry.
Stamp Water Droplets with VersaFine Onyx Black ink and let dry.
To color the background, I used the 1/2" angle shader brush, mixed a dollop of each color with water onto my craft sheet, and spread over the entire background.  Silks Celedon, Carribean Mist, and Wisteria were used.  I kept the blue of the Carribean Mist where the water droplets were stamped.
When I got nearer to the flower petals and buds, I brushed the color away from the masks so that I did not get paint underneath them.
The masks protected my painted flowers and petals, as you can see below when I remove the post-it notes.
To add a bit of sparkle to the stenciled numbers, I re-aligned the stencil over them and brushed on Emperor's Gold Radiant Gels.
As you can see below, the effect is subtle but effective.  Unfortunately, it is very hard to pick up the beautiful shimmer with a camera.  It looks amazing in person.
I used a white gel pen to highlight the water droplets.
A tiny dot at the top and a short line at the bottom of the droplet did the trick.  See close-up below.
Cut a giant sized tag (5-1/2" x 1-1/2") from a piece of print paper from the DCWV paper stack.  

Adhere acrylic paper to 4-1/4" x 9-1/4" black card stock.
Mix Silks Clear Medium with Primary Elements China Black and cover metal word band.  Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I just dipped my finger into the glaze, then into the Primary Elements and rubbed it over the word band.  It mixed beautifully, and all I needed was a small amount.
Let dry and sand off some of the black paint with fine sandpaper.
Insert twine through word band holes and wrap around to back.
Turn layer over, run a thin line of Beacon 3-in-1 glue along right edge and add lace.  When you turn it back over, the lace will actually be on the left.
Adhere layer to tag base, add metal watering can embellishment and black alphabet stickers to spell "Divine".  

Cut two lengths of ribbon approximately 8" long and thread through tag hole.

ColourArte supplies used:
Silks Acrylic Glaze:  Apricot Nectar, Ginger Flower, Moss Green, Celedon, Carribean Mist, Wisteria, Clear Acrylic Glaze Medium
Radiant Gels: Emperor's Gold
Primary Elements: China Black

Other supplies used:
Designs by Ryn Water Droplets rubber stamp 
Divine cling stamp (Penny Black )
Strathmore 236lb Linen Finish Acrylic Paper
DCWV Black Currant paper stack
Black card stock
VersaFine Onyx Black ink
Colorbox Charcoal ink
Ranger white gel pen
Paper Artsy PS021 numbers stencil
Golden Light Molding Paste
1/2" Angle Shader paint brush
Tim Holtz Idea-ology metal word band
Ribbon:  Camelia Pink (Martha Stewart);  yellow (Stampin' Up)
1/2" wide lace
Metal watering can (Prima or Recollections)
Alphabet Stickers (Prima #555351)
Beacon 3-in-1 glue
Natural twine

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and while you are at it, I hope you will visit the ColourArte online store.  There is a fantastic sale on the Radiant Rains daubers and mists, so be sure to check it out.  And please take a moment to visit our sponsor, Designs by Ryn.  She has some of the most amazing stamps, all drawn by Ryn.  I was quite impressed with the deeply etched quality of them.  You will not be disappointed.


One last reminder that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  If you would like to help, you can make a donation here.

Have a wonderful, creative week!

Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous Barbara! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques!! xo

    ReplyDelete