Monday, September 23, 2013

Barbara's Tips and Techniques for September

Hello Creative Paperclay® fans, and welcome back to the blog.  Yesterday was the Autumnal Equinox, signifying the end of Summer and the beginning of Fall.  I am really looking forward to Fall, with that crispness in the air and cooler temperatures.  How about you?

The more I work with Creative Paperclay®, the more fun things I discover, from how to paint it, to how to mold it.  It never occurred to me, until recently, that the thinner I roll out the clay, the more flexible it is when dry.  I also discovered that it is quite strong and does not break or crack, like you might think.  This is a real asset when you want a piece of clay that is paper thin and will wrap around your project, or just be flexible for whatever purpose you choose.

So, don't think you have to roll out your clay thick, like 1/4" thick or so, unless you need it to be.  Think of it as making your own paper out of clay.  It is, after all, paper in clay form.  See my previous post where I made honeycomb so thin, the holes remained intact.  Or how about the "sheet" of music I made to add to any project, pun absolutely intended.

I also discovered that, since I was rolling the Paperclay® out so thinly, it sometimes wanted to stick to my roller.  The old light bulb went off and gave me the bright idea to place my Paperclay® between two sheets of waxy paper to keep it from sticking.  It worked fabulously.  These were actually the release paper from my Xyron.  Don't throw them away.  They work for all sorts of things.


You can roll it out thinly on a texture sheet, a rubber stamp, or even a piece of lace or burlap fabric, to get a ton of various textures.  You can even mold items without filling the mold to get thinner pieces, if you want it to be flexible.  You are always only limited by your imagination.  So, unless you need something stable and strong, then have some fun making "sheets" of Paperclay®.

REMINDER ALERT

Don't forget that we are having a Halloween blog link up on 5 October, combined with a design team call.  What better way to showcase your work and share it with the world!!!  And you never know, you could win one of the prize giveaways.  So go ahead, give it a try.  Create something with Creative Paperclay® products and link up to the blog to enter to win!  And if you would like to try out for the design team, check out the information here.
I am so glad you stopped by today, and I hope you enjoyed my tips.  Please check out the Creative Paperclay® online store, and visit the blog for more inspiration.  If you have any questions about the link up, please feel free to ask me.

Have a wonderful week, and play with some clay for the link up!

Barbara

2 comments:

  1. Awesome tips Barbara! Am still weighing up whether to apply for the DT call or not.... In any case, your projects with the stuff always look amazing and to my joy I found a place where to get it in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Astrid! This stuff is so much fun to work with and you will have a great time playing with it.

      Delete