Monday, September 16, 2013

Don't Go In The Woods and Haunted Couture Cards

Hello again everyone, and welcome back!  I'm in a bit of a Halloween mood, and The Robin's Nest is offering their Halloween collection for 20% off this month.  We have also paired up with a wonderful company, Connie Crystal, this month.   They have the most beautiful crystal products around.   I love making Halloween themed projects, and I could not be more pleased to share my cards with you today.  I have three cards today, so grab a cuppa, sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Supplies Used:

The Robin's Nest:  Black Trees Glitter Cardstock
                               Purple Glitter Crackle Cardstock
                               Spiderweb Glitter Cardstock
                               Orange Glitter Crackle Cardstock
                               Halloween Glitter Stripe Cardstock
                               Boo Words Glitter Cardstock
                               Ghost Camo Glitter Cardstock
                               Pumpkin Heads Cardstock
                               Witch Accessories Glitter Cardstock
                               Haunted House Cardstock
                               Black Classic Glitter Cardstock
                               Almost Black Classic Glitter Cardstock
                               Bats Chipboard
                               Little Friends - Dress-up - Dracula Costume
                               Mascarade Diamond Dew Drops
                               Classified Mini Dew Drops
                               Halloween Dew Drops
Connie Crystal Beads
Specialty Stamping Paper
Copic Markers: Y38, Y35, Y06, YG23, V04, V17, 0-Blender
Tuxedo Black Memento ink pad
French Lilac Palette Hybrid ink pad, Black India Ink pad (Stewart Superior)
Chipboard mini dress form (Maya Road)
Rubber Stamps:  Haunted Couture, Haunted Dress (Lockhart Stamp Co.)
Dies:  Spider Web (Quickutz); Ribbon Label, Fancy Tags, Scallop Circle, Lacey Circle (Spellbinders); Graveyard (Tim Holtz)
Martha Stewart spider web edge punch
EK Success tiny spider punch
Pumpkin Smooch (Colorbox)
Popcorn chalk ink (Colorbox)
Pitt Big Brush Artist Pens: White, Black (Faber-Castell)
3mm and 4mm googlie eyes (Hobby Lobby)
Silver eye pins
Jump rings

Directions for Don't Go In the Woods:


Cut Almost Black Classic Glitter Cardstock to 6" x 12", to make a 6" square top folded card.  I decided to put the fold at the top so it could act as an easel and stand for display.

Trim Black Trees Glitter Cardstock slightly smaller than card front, edge with Black Soot distress ink, and adhere, as shown.  (Tip:  Pick a section of the trees you like for the front.)
Adhere Purple Glitter Crackle Cardstock to chipboard and die cut with the graveyard die.  Edge chipboard piece with a black marker.  Choose the direction of your light source and add white chalk ink to the tombstones to look like moonlight shining on them.  (Unfortunately, it is very subtle in the picture, but much more effective in person).
Adhere to bottom of card with a strip of foam tape for dimension.
Cut out two spider webs from Spiderweb Glitter Cardstock and two ghosts from the Ghost Camo Glitter Cardstock.  Adhere to card front, as shown.  I used pop dots under the ghosts to give them some dimension.
Cut out small raven from Haunted House Cardstock and place on top of one of the tomb stones.  Add 3D crystal lacquer for strength and to help it stand out against the dark background.
Choose three small bats from the Bats Chipboard package, two black and one purple.  Color the black bats with a light coat of pumpkin Smooch.  Adhere purple and orange diamond dew drops to each bat.
Cut out small "B" "O" "O" letters from the Boo Words Glitter Cardstock.  I chose these because they look like eyeballs to me.  I cut them out individually because I wanted to place the letters "O" upside down, and place all the letters closer together to look like they are hiding in the trees.  I used two black dew drops and two silver dew drops from the Classified Mini Dew Drops to make eyeballs.  I needed mini black dew drops for the letter "B", but did not have any. So I placed them onto a piece of double sided tape and inked them with my black permanent ink pen.
I found it easier to adhere the letters to my card first.  Then, you can either add 3mm and 4mm googlie eyes, if you have them, or a white pen to finish off the eyeballs.  I thought the googlie eyes were a lot of fun and always make me smile.  I even added one to my raven.  I think he even looks scared now!
And what wooded cemetery doesn't have it's very own vampire?  Of course, this calls for the addition of Little Friends - Dress-up - Dracula Costume.  So, stay out of the woods at night, or you might run into a few of these critters.

My next card is more along the lines of Halloween costumes and the whole idea of dressing up.  I remember having so much fun as a kid, but alas, I was very tall, and the ready made costumes were always too short on me.  I had to learn to sew so that I could make my own.

Directions for Haunted Couture:
Cut Pumpkin Heads Cardstock to 6" x 9", fold in half to make card 6" x 4-1/2".  (Note:  I am using the reverse side of the pumpkin heads for the outside, but the inside is directional, so make sure your pumpkins are upright.)

Stamp Haunted Couture dress onto specialty stamping paper, color with Copic Markers.
Fussy cut the dress, a witch's hat and broom from Witch Accessories Glitter Cardstock, and ink a mini dress form with French Lilac.  Be sure to ink the edges for a finished look.  Set aside.
To make the spider web doily, I die cut Lacey Circles from Purple Glitter Crackle Cardstock, and a smaller scallop circle from Orange Glitter Crackle Cardstock.  Then I cut the web from Black Classic Glitter Cardstock, layering one on top of the other and trimming the web, as shown.
Cut fancy tag from Boo Words Glitter Cardstock, placing die between words.  Edge with a bit of Spiced Marmalade distress ink.  Stamp Haunt Couture phrase in the center with Black India Ink.  I used my trusty stamp positioner for this.


Adhere doily and fancy tag to card front, as shown.

To make the dress form longer, cut it in half and adhere to the back of the dress, as shown.  I added a small piece of foam tape between the cut dress form to make up the difference.

Adhere dress form, witch's hat and broom to center of doily.  Add yellow and orange mini dew drops, and two purple diamond dew drops to the fancy tag, as shown in finished card photo.

I have one last thing to share.  Since we are partnering with Connie Crystal Beads this month, I wanted to show off a card using their gorgeous crystals.  This card needs to be a bit more substantial to support the Connie Crystal Beads.  These beads are so nice and shiny, and have a very nice, heavy weight to them, unlike plastic beads.  I have some more ideas for using them, but that will have to wait for another time.  Now, I want to show you a real simple, but very cool, way to use them on this last Halloween card.

Directions for "BOO" card:


Cut  Black Trees Glitter Cardstock to 5" x 6".  Layer onto a pre-folded 5" x 6-1/2" black card.

Punch two spider web borders from  Black Classic Glitter Cardstock and adhere to top and bottom.

Adhere Orange Glitter Crackle Cardstock to a piece of chipboard and cut out using the "Boo" die.  Ink chipboard edges with black pen to finish it off.

Thread three Connie Crystal Beads  onto an eyepin and make a loop at the open end.  Attach a crystal drop to the bottom loop with a jump ring, and attach the entire bead piece to the chipboard, as shown.

Adhere "Boo" chipboard to card front.  Punch tiny spider from Black Classic Glitter Cardstock and add to web beneath the letter "B".

And there you have it!  I really love my Halloween cards, and I hope you like them too.  Please be sure to visit the online store for the sale papers, as well as the other wonderful Robin's Nest products.  And don't forget to take a moment to check out Connie Crystal Beads to see all of their beautiful crystal beads.

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope I didn't take up too much of your time with my long post, and I hope you will come back to the Robin's Nest blog to check out the rest of the team's creations, too.

Have a very happy, creative week!

Barbara

11 comments:

  1. Amazing cards all of them Barbara, you are a wizzard (pun intended) with these types of projects, and like always, fantastic step by steps, so much to see and admire, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky! Love all the extra details you put into your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool project! I love the dress and form! AWESOME :) TFS! Visiting from #sscnet

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are spookacular! hehe So much artwork in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a wonderful project! I love them all! So cool! Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Your wok is mesmerising in its complexity and spooks-ville approach. I'm going to get my girls try this out ready for Halloween. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan of halloween but these cards are really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards. I am definitely not a crafter--my projects *never* turn out looking like the directions, but these are great. I will definitely be passing this post along to my far craftier sister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards Barbara! Great attention to detail! Love all of them, although the haunted couture has to be my favorite! The spooky season is upon us, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete