Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tips and Techniques Thursday

Hello again, and welcome back to another edition of T&TT (that's Tips & Techniques Thursday, of course).  

Today I am going to share a technique with you that I used for my altered cigar box, posted last weekend during Leslie Rahye's Very Fall Steampunk Blog Hop.  In case you missed it, this is the box.


What I am going to show you now is how I made those beautiful steampunk style metal leaves on the box top.  Pictured below are the products I used:

First, die cut the leaves from the Spellbinders Premium Craft Foil, or any lightweight metal you may already have on hand.  I used the Memory Box maple leaf die.  I then embossed the leaves with a Paper Studio Gears embossing folder.  Easy so far, right?   


Next, I painted each leaf with Vintaj Moss Patina and let it dry.  Then I spritzed each leaf with two colors of Smooch Spritz in Limolicious and Sea Kiss.  I used a heat gun to quick dry the paint, allowing it to bubble, which made it age some.  


Now you have beautiful leaves that are easy to mold and maintain their shape for adding to your steampunk style botanical art.  Here is a closer look at them on the cigar box lid.  


Of course, there are a million different ways to make these, but this is just one of them.  I hope you enjoyed it and will give it a try.  It is a lot of fun and the results are pretty amazing.

Until next time, I hope you have wonderful crafting experiences!

Barbara





No comments:

Post a Comment