Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Robin's Nest Cards Only DT Tryout

Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog.  Today, I am re-applying for The Robin's Nest Cards Only design team.  I have been with Robin's Nest for a year now, and I absolutely love working for them, and I especially love all of their products.  So, here is my project for consideration.

Supplies used:

The Robin's Nest Mango Flame Border CS
The Robin's Nest Getaway Dew Drops (headlights)
The Robin's Nest Large Clear Dew Drops
The Robin's Nest Flame Border Sticker
The Robin's Nest Glacier Dew Drops
The Robin's Nest Special Delivery Baby Boy Kit
Love Bug Creations rumple ribbons (Sunflower, Ocean View)
White Gesso
Ranger Distress Inks (Stormy Sky, Salty Ocean, Walnut Stain, Wild Honey, Peeled Paint, Black Soot)
Versamark ink pad
Colorbox Wicked Black Archival ink pad
Stampington K5521 - The Car (wood mounted stamp)
Inkadinkado 60-00677 - Newsprint Background (wood mounted stamp)
Tim Holtz tissue tape - Elements
3/8" Copper eyelet

In my last post earlier this month, I used this same paper to make a very masculine, hot flames card.  You can check it out by clicking here.  I want to show you how to change up your papers a bit, using mixed media techniques. So, how did I get from the paper on the left to the tag on the right?  I'm going to show you.
Cut a 12"x12" piece of Mango Flame Border CS to 6" x 6", as shown in photo above.
Use your finger to apply an uneven coat of white gesso to the CS.
Remove the gesso on the black coated flame images with a wet paper towel.  You can also remove some of it from the CS as well.
With a makeup sponge or blending foam, apply distress inks as follows:
Stormy Sky and Salty Ocean (top third)
Wild Honey and Walnut Stain (middle third)
Walnut Stain and Peeled Paint (bottom third) 
Ink up The Car stamp with Versamark ink, then Wicked Black ink, stamp onto background paper and heat emboss with detail black embossing powder.
Cover most of the car image with post-it notes, as shown.
Stamp newsprint background all over using Wicked Black ink.
Remove post-it notes.
Trim paper into a tag shape.  My tag measures 3-3/8" x 5-7/8".  To make the top angled edges even, cut  off one side, then reverse the piece you cut off and use it to angle the opposite side.  This is an easy way to ensure you get an equal angle cut.
Punch hole in center top and add eyelet.

Apply Picket Fence distress stain to a piece of Ocean View rumple ribbon to match color on tag.  Let dry.
Attach Sunset and Ocean View rumple ribbons through eyelet at top of tag.  Add two strips of tissue tape along the bottom.
Add two clear dew drops from the Getaway dew drop collection to the car headlights.
Voila!  Your finished tag.  
Now, the really fun thing about tags is that they can serve several purposes.  They can, of course, just be a tag.  But better yet, they can also be the focal point when placed on the front of your card, as shown above.  Add a sentiment, and you have a really fun card to give.  

Next, I made another card using the Special Delivery Baby Boy kit.  Here is a picture of the fun things included in the kit.
Here is the finished card.  

Cut Special Boy Belgian Chocolate Cardstock to 4" x 5-1/4" and adhere to blue A2 size (4-1/4" x 5-1/2") card.

Fussy cut a border piece from the Special Boy Airplane Diamonds Cardstock, distress with gathered twig ink.  Glue to top section of card, as shown.

Make a die cut hinge from scrap card stock.  Tape metal die over opening.  Align card stock opening over sticker image and tape in place.  Run through die cut machine.
In the picture below, you can see that I needed to offset the cut a bit so I could include the airplane image without cutting it off.  Die cut hinges are very important to accomplish this accurately.
To mat the sticker, I cut a second piece of plain tan cardstock using the same size die.  Trim as shown in photo below.
Layer behind sticker, as shown.
Finished layered sticker.  Distress edges with gathered twig ink.
Close-up of sticker.  I added glacier dew drops to diamond border, rusty hinge distress stickles to star shape from the Special Boy Embellies, and a piece of sunset rumple ribbon.  I also adhered a large clear dew drop over the "it's a boy" sticker, trimmed excess, and adhered that, as shown.
 This is the third card I have made from this kit, and I still have a ton of product to make many more.  As a matter of fact, I hope you will come back tomorrow to view my next post for The Robin's Nest blog, where I will have yet another project for you using the flame collection, as well as a few more cards using this really cute kit.

I hope you have enjoyed my projects and will visit often.  Thanks so much for stopping by.

As always, happy crafting, and have a wonderful week.



  1. as always, amazing, thanks for your interest in being on the Robin Nest DT

  2. Love your card!!! Absolutely awesome!!!