Monday, September 22, 2014

Leslie Rahye's Very Fall Steampunk Blog Hop

Hello my very artsy steampunk friends, and welcome to Autumn.  I am so glad you stopped by today.  The fabulous Leslierahye is hosting another one of her fabulous steampunk blog hops, and today's theme is Fall!  

I don't know about you, but Fall is one of my favorite seasons, and I absolutely love the colors associated with Fall.  I found this Sizzix die in my local craft store on clearance, and boy, was I excited.  I grabbed it so fast it would have made your head spin.  

It is one of Tim Holtz' dies called Luminary 3-D.  It is not as large as it appears on screen, but it is awfully cute, and makes beautiful little candle light decorations, or just about any kind of decoration you might choose.  I think it is very versatile and I plan on using it quite a bit.  

I started searching for ideas on Pinterest, and found a gazillion of them.  However, I was particularly taken with a technique called Melt Art Tissue Wrap Jeweled Leaves that I found on Tammy Tutterow's blog using tissue wrap, distress stains, and the melting pot.  


Supplies:
Sizzix/Tim Holtz 3-D Luminary die
Die cutting machine
Altered Pages Steampunk Collage Images
Melting Pot
Clear UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel)
Gold metallic cream
Distress stains in Fall colors
Tim Holtz Melange tissue wrap
Tim Holtz Ideaology music box keys
Prima Vinage Trinkets
Burgundy two-tone card stock
24# Clear Vellum paper
Glossy Accents
Red Liner tape

I cut two-toned burgundy card stock with the Sizzix Tim Holtz 3-D Luminary die and followed the directions for putting it together.  But before I actually adhered it together, I first resized the four collage images from Altered Pages to print at 2.1" x 2.8" onto clear vellum paper and trimmed each one down to 2" x 2-3/8" to fit behind the window openings.

Using the techniques learned from Tammy's blog post, I was inspired to make the leaves she shared, but I was further inspired to make some "gear flowers" using the same technique used for the leaves.  I cut out some larger gears with a Spellbinders die and tissue wrap, stained with Fall colors, and dipped in UTEE.  I did, however, shape them somewhat to form a flower shape.  Adding a few metal embellishments from Prima and Tim Holtz Ieadology, and my luminary was complete.

Front close up

Side 2

Side 3

Side 4
The really cool thing about these tissue embossed leaves is that they become quite see-through, which I think is an awesome effect.  Can you see the transparency in these close-ups?
Gear flowers closeup


The metal gear on this flower looks like it is floating, but it is actually adhered to the UTEE that I allowed to remain inside the circle of the gear.  Pretty cool, huh?


Tiny metal gears are added to form flower centers.  


Insert a battery-operated tea light inside for safety while providing a nice candlelight glow.


Now I have a sweet Fall home decor piece for my table.  I think I need more!!!

I hope  you enjoyed my project today, and have a great time visiting the rest of the bloggers today to see their awesome projects.  

Here are the links to their blogs to help you stay on course!


Thanks so much for stopping by, and please have a wonderful, crafty week!

Barbara

12 comments:

  1. WOW!! That is AWESOME!! I LOVE the look of the vellum with the images printed on them. And those leaves and gears you made from tissue paper and UTEE are AMAZING!!! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing project, so intricate ! Love it ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman, you're amazing. You never stop. This is just terrific. I can't believe you got that damnable Tim Holtz die to work for you ... I must have wasted ten pieces of matboard trying to get the thing to fit together properly LOL. I just love, Love, LOVE what you did...you should make these and sell them - EVERYbody would want one for their holiday decór! Just totally delightful. You take decoration over-the-top JUST to the line where any more would be too much. Perfection. Like clarified butter. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That floating gear blows my mind! Every part of this project is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fabulous is your luminary!!!! Love the leaves and will be doing a copy cat so don't be surprised if you see something in the future. You are amazing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, as usual AMAZING... Love the technique you used on the leaves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Barbara! This is just so stunning! I love, love, love those tissue paper leaves and the floating gear. What a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work! So many elements, not sure what I like best about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You blew me away with your October project. I had to see more!
    I am not disappointed. I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to go way back in time and check out this project. Waaaaay cool.

    ReplyDelete