Monday, June 17, 2013

Independence Day Card or Mini Album?



Timeless Twine
Hello again, Barbara here with my second post for June.  Timeless Twine from Bella Creationz is sponsoring us this month, and I want to share some of my cards I made using products from both companies.  The Robin's Nest products work well with just about everything, and Timeless Twine is no exception.

Well, as I am sure you are aware, our country's birthday is fast approaching.  So, to celebrate, I made this cute card/mini book for this special occasion.
Is it a card, or is it a mini album?  Well, guess what, I am excited to tell you that it is both.  This piece began as a card and evolved into a mini album by simply adding a few signature pages and attaching them with a simple pamphlet stitch.  It does not get any easier than this.  And what a great way to keep those memorable pictures from your family holiday get-together this July 4th!

Robin's Nest Products used: 

12 x 12 paper - Glitter America Words
12 x 12 paper - Glitter Fireworks
12 x 12 paper - Lady Liberty
12 x 12 paper - Star Glitter Border
12 x 12 paper - Nautical Stripe
Red glitter flower - Red Flower
Sticker sheet - USA Sticker
Dew Drops - Diamond Shapes-Solids (Indigo Diamond, Ruby Red, Pearl White, Clear)
Glue dots - Dew Dew Glue 

Other Products:
Timeless Twine Bakers Twine  
Distress Ink - Stormy Sky
Sizzix/Tim Holtz die - Mini Rosettes
Bracket edge punch
The card/mini album base is a 7-1/2" x 12" piece of  Star Glitter Border paper that I folded in half to make a card measuring 7-1/2" x 6".  

I tore off a small corner from the Glitter Fireworks paper, inked the edges with Stormy Sky distress ink, and adhered to top left corner.  Then I adhered the red glitter flower over that.  It reminded me of a fireworks blast.


I used the Nautical Stripe paper and a mini rosette die to make the rosette shown.  I decorated the center with a red diamond-shaped, coating the entire center circle with a layer of 3D Crystal Lacquer

I cut out three pennant shapes from chipboard that I covered with Nautical Stripe paper and adhered to the edge along the spine. I also added some clear diamond-shaped dew drops on each pennant.  
I cut out the word "Independence", and the letters "D", "a", and "y" from the word "Democracy", from the Glitter America Words paper, and sanded the edges to bring out the white inner core along the edges.  I thought this helped the words stand out better against the background.

Next, I framed the picture of the Statue of Liberty, taken from the Lady Liberty paper, using two colors of Timeless Twine and a tiny glue dot in each corner to catch the floss and hold it in place.  This was matted onto another piece of Nautical Stripes paper.
To cover the glue dots and add a bit of bling, I added the blue diamond-shaped dew drops to each corner. 
To turn this card into a mini album, I added 5 sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" text weight paper, which I folded in half and trimmed so my pages would measure 7" x 5-1/2".  A simple pamphlet stitch holds it all together.  
As a decorative addition to the spine, I made a simple braid using three lengths of Timeless Twine, knotted at both ends, and glued over the spine.  See photo above.
Below is the inside cover decorated with another picture fussy cut from Lady Liberty paper and adhered to the inside left cover. On the right, blue tear-shaped dew drops appear to be floating in mid-air like tiny balloons in the distant sky. 


Nautical Stripe banner was made with for the top left page, and decoratively punched with an edge punch.  USA stickers were cut out and adhered to both pages, as shown, and further embellished with diamond-shaped dew drops over the stars.  Five diamond-shaped dew drops make perfect stars!
With the addition of these few text pages, you now have lots of space to add your favorite holiday pictures and memorabilia.  However, without the extra pages, you have yourself a fine card for a July birthday guy or gal.

*************************************************************

Next, I made this simple card for a  baby girl using the new Special Delivery Baby Boy kit.  Here is a picture of the fun things included in this kit.
And everything you need is included, which makes them so easy and quick to make.  And there is still a ton of product left in kit for many, many more cards.  This is my fourth card from the kit, and I still have much more product to use.  Such a great value. 

Supplies used:
The Robin's Nest Special Delivery Baby Boy
Pink Timeless Twine
8-1/2" x 5-1/2" dark plum CS
Pink paper scrap
Rumple Ribbon (Purple-dise, Green Leaves)
Fiskars corner rounder punch
Martha Stewart decorative edge punch (Botanical Scallop)

These are the bits and pieces I am using on this card.
Directions:
Fold 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" dark plum CS in half, forming a 5-1/2" x 4-1/4" card.

Trim a strip of Rocking Horse specialty paper approximately 1-1/4" x 6" long.  Use decorative edge punch along one long side.  Adhere to left side of CS, trim excess.

Adhere pink tag to scrap of pink CS.  Wrap pink Timeless Twine around tag and make tiny clips with scissors into the tag edge where the twine lands.  This will help keep the twine in place.
Wrap twine around tag, catching twine in the little paper snips.  Tie off and give excess twine a twist.  Place a tiny dab of glue at end of twine to hold twist in place.  (See finished card photo below.)

Fussy cut Special and Delivery from the Special Delivery Boy paper and glue to tag, as shown above.

Make a flower from Purple-dise rumple ribbon, and leaves from about 1-1-2" of Green Leaves rumple ribbon.  Click here to see my previous post showing how I made these cute little flowers.  Adhere green ribbon piece over hole in tag.
Glue purple ribbon flower over green ribbon leaves.
Glue yellow Special Boy embellies and Little Friends Baby Boys (infant) to left of baby crib, as shown.
 I rounded the corners of the card to give it a softer look.  Here is my finished card.
 What do you think?  Pretty cute for a baby girl, even though my embellishments came from the baby boy card kit.  Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Timeless Twine, for sponsoring us this month.  I had a blast using your products, and they add so much to a project.  I hope you will check out the Timeless Twine website, too, to see all the beautiful colors they carry.

And, of course, don't forget to visit The Robin's Nest online store for the monthly sales, new products, and their scrumptious papers and embellishments.  There's still time to stock up on those fabulous diamond shaped dew drops because they are 20% off the entire month of June.


I hope you enjoyed my projects, and please be sure to check back often to see all the new products that The Robin's Nest has to offer, as well as upcoming projects by the ever-so-creative design team.

Have a very happy and safe holiday!


Barbara 


No comments:

Post a Comment