Monday, June 3, 2013

Tropical Beach Peek-a-Boo Interactive Card

 
Timeless Twine

Hi everyone.  Barbara here with my first post for June.   I hope everyone is enjoying their summer weather, which prompted me to use this gorgeous palm tree paper from the Beach Collection.  I have wanted to use it from the moment I saw it, but I needed the weather to warm up to get me in the right mood.  That's just me, though.  I have trouble making Christmas cards in July, too.

We are also teaming up with Timeless Twine, which I have to admit works really well with my beach themed card this month.  This card is very easy to make, so please don't let my tutorial scare you.  I discovered this similar card  by Dawn Griffith on YouTube.  She called it a peek-a-boo card, and I cannot think of a better description, so that's what I am calling it, too.  I changed my card up just a bit, but the workings are the same.

Here is the finished card:

Supplies used:

Palm Tree Glitter Cardstock (The Robin's Nest)
Beach Sticker (The Robin's Nest)
Natural Large Starfish (The Robin's Nest)
Fishnet (The Robin's Nest)
Amber Diamond Shaped Dew Drops (The Robin's Nest)
Ruby Red Diamond Shaped Dew Drops (The Robin's Nest)
Palm Tree Rub-On (The Robin's Nest)
Timeless Twine by Bella Creationz
Tan Card Stock (CS)
1-3/8" square punch
1/4" miracle tape

Directions:

Cut tan CS to measure 5-1/2" x 11".  Score at 3-1/2" and 7".   Fold score lines to look like this.  Side C will be the very outside back of your card.
Cut a piece of Palm Tree Glitter CS to measure 6-1/4" x 5-1/2".  I chose this section from my 12"x12" piece of paper.
Score at 4-1/4" along the 6-1/4" side.  Fold score to look like this.
Fold flap to front temporarily to use as a guide.  (NOTE:  This paper is double sided, so you are seeing the reverse print in the photo).  Slide square punch as far as it will go from the bottom edge, line up one edge of the punch with the flap, and punch out the window without punching the flap.  Turn flap back to the inside.  
Use this piece as a guide to punch another window in the tan CS on the reverse of side A, as shown.
Your two pieces will look like this, and yes, the front score line does not match the reverse of side A score line.  This is part of the mechanics of how the card works.
To make your next window, fold the reverse of A towards side B and align and punch a square window in side B, using  the opening in A as your guide.
Fold reverse of B towards reverse of C and mark opening lightly with a pencil.
Punch out desired section of waves from the Beach Sticker sheet, as shown.  
 

Adhere waves sticker over penciled in area on reverse of C.
Punch a second image from the shells portion of the Beach Sticker sheet and adhere the sticker on the  back flap, using the window opening on the card front as a guide.  
Adhere double-sided adhesive along the inside edge on reverse of side C, and around the edges and window opening on the reverse of side A, as shown in the photo.
Adhere the card front (printed piece) over the tan CS, as shown below. (NOTE: There should be a strip of adhesive along the fold on the reverse of side C in this picture, as shown above).  Fold reverse of side C over reverse of side B, which will adhere this piece only along the fold, but leaving the small flap on the card front free.
Watch the window in the next three pictures.  Here, you see the shells sticker starting to cover the waves sticker.
As you continue to open the card, the flap reveals more of the shells sticker in the window.
And here, the card is opened completely, and you are looking at the inside of the card.  The shells sticker is completely covering the sticker below it.  Peek-a-boo!
To finish off the card front, I glued a small piece of fish net along the upper left edge by adding tiny dots of Fabri-tac glue on the knots.  I also used Fabri-tac to glue the starfish down.  I added the Tropical Breezes rub-on above the window opening, and to make it all work together, I added red and amber diamond shaped dew drops around the window.  I love how the dew drops remind me of the quilt patterns I saw everywhere in Hawaii.  Then I wrapped red Timeless Twine around the spine and tied two tiny shells to each end.  I love the movement it adds.  Here it is again (so you don't have to scroll back to the top):

Wow, that was a long tutorial, but I hope I was able to simplify it a bit for you.  For your first try at this, I would suggest penciling A, B, C to indicate one side, and AR, BR, CR to indicate the reverse sides.  I believe it would help you when referring to the photos.  

Can you imagine using photos of your family, friends, pets, scenery, or even phrases inside each window?  So many different ideas for this card come to mind.  I hope you enjoyed my project today, and I know you will love this card and wow your friends with it.  So please, give it a try.  It really is easier than it looks.  And best of all, The Robin's Nest papers and embellishments make your cards and all of your projects look super!  So I hope you will check out their online store to see all the new products for June, as well as the 20% off sale on all diamond shaped dew drops this month.   Oh, and be sure to visit the blog often for more inspiration, and while you are there, check out this month's Birthday Card blog challenge here.    Who knows, you could be a winner!!!!!!

Thanks again for stopping by.  

Happy Summer to all!

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment