Thursday, March 3, 2016

Fairy Garden House

Hey there everyone!  Barbara here with my third in the series of mini house shadow boxes by Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.  Today's project is a Mushroom Fairy Garden House.  I had so much fun making this one.  I hope you like it.  To see my previous mini house shadow box, please click here.


As always, I start out by laying out my pieces so I can see clearly how to glue them together.


Paint box inside and out with flesh tint acrylic paint, or color that matches your paper.  Then cover box, inside and out, with Prima Fairy Rhymes paper.  The roof was covered with natural birch bark strips.  



I painted the mushrooms with white gesso first, then began the coloring process with Caran'dache NeoColor II water soluble crayons.  I did not color all of these, but I was not sure which ones I would use for my fairy garden until I got started.  I used a white gel pen to do a little pen work on the mushroom heads, an idea I borrowed from my good friend and fellow team mate, Pam Bray.  


Paint the fairy with black acrylic paint, including the wings.  Then color the wings with Pearl-Ex watercolors in a blue interference color, then add a bit of green interference color, as shown.  The interference colors only show up really well on a black or dark surface.


Using foam dots in varying levels, I adhered the two mushrooms inside the box, as shown.  Reindeer moss was added as garden filler.


Foam dots were placed beneath the fairy to raise her up and glued at her knee and foot.  You can see where the glue is still wet on her foot.  


The largest strip of mushrooms (colored in the photo above) was wrapped around the base of the house and glued to the front and back bottom only.    Use fingers to shape and bend the mushroom base and the mushrooms themselves.  

Tiny resin flowers and bits of reindeer moss were adhered along the base and the roof, as shown.

Crystal glitter glue was added to the leaves for extra magical sparkle.

Here are a few close ups from different view points of my magical fairy garden.






Supplies:

Mini House Shadow Box 4
Mushrooms Shape Set
Garden Fairies Medium (pre-order)

White gesso
Black gesso
Prima Fairy Rhymes paper
Prima resin flowers
Natural birch bark strips
White gel pen
Reindeer moss
Pearl-Ex Interference watercolors
Water brush
Tea Dye distress ink (for edging the paper)
Crystal stickles

I hope you are enjoying my series of mini house shadowboxes from Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts.  I plan on displaying these in my studio for inspiration, and I hope that perhaps I have inspired you in some small way, too.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a crafty week!

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment